My World, My Life, My Momments

I'll try to stop in here and keep things rollin. It sounds like a great way for me to just breathe, reflect and think about all things important to me.

Friday, September 11, 2009

English Muffins from the kitchen

I've been making the english muffins that get consumed in this house for quite some time now. The younger 2 eat them like rolls, untoasted with a cooked sausage patty and cheese for a quick on the go breakfast or even snack.
I make hubby a breakfast sandwich for his lunch box just about every day. (Some days I don't have any muffins left.)

One day my hubby asked why I make them when they aren't really that expensive. My first response was. I know what goes in them. My second response was because I can.

Today I made a double batch, and they are currently on the counter shaped and rising for their dry fry on the stove top.

So I sat down to just see what the cost was, using the ingredients I use every time I make them.

And the cost is about $1.75 for 12 big english muffins. They contain very simple basic ingredients. No HFC, no preservatives, nothing funky. I know what goes into them and when they were made.

Now you could make them for a few cents less. I'm sure of that because I use more expensive ingredients. I use organic flour (right now $4.99/5bls), I use raw milk ($3.70/half gallon) and I use organic butter(11cents/T). The other ingredients are yeast, salt, water and a smidge of baking powder. Oh and a bit of cornmeal for the non stick/authentic affect.


It's easy, and forgiving. You can swap out 1 c of the white flour, for 1 cup of whole wheat or any other whole grain flour. (Using barley, or oat or Kamut and Spelt, will result in a wetter dough, but it still rises beautifully and works great.)

Here's what I do.

Warm 1 c of milk, add in 1/4 c of warm water. Pour into my KA mixing bowl.
Add in 1/2 T of sugar or honey. Mix around a few times. Add in 2 1/4 t of yeast. Swirl around again with the paddle. Let rest a few minutes to start the yeast bubbling a bit. Add in 2 T of butter. (can omit) Turn the mixer on and add in a pinch of baking powder and 1 t of salt. Turn the mixer off and add 3 cups of flour. Turn the mixer on and let it go on about 3, until the dough is well mixed. Let it go a couple minutes more if it's a wetter dough. If you want you can then knead it a few minutes on the counter. I find that the less I 'work' the dough the better it is. Place it in a buttered bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and set in a warm place to double. When double, smoosh it down and start cutting off hunks. I have a feel for how much I need, but you can form into an even roll, lightly and cut off 12 pieces. Shape them by tucking under the edges a few times, unti lthe top is smooth and you have a semi ball. Press down on cornmeal, then flip over and press the other side down, set aside on a cornmeal dusted board, counter or cookie sheet to rest and rise. After I make all 12, I then push them all down to flatten a bit.
Walk away until they are almost double. Come back get a large dry skillet. (I use a stainless one or a have a double burner grill/griddle pan, but I found the dry skillet is easy to control the heat on.)
Put the skillet on medium, (griddle on med-low)..put down the muffins, they will deflate just a touch when you pick them up, but leave them be, and they rise back up. Let set until they start to get a dark golden brown, then flip and wait until that side gets a dark golden brown, cool on a wire rack.
Store what you can't eat in a few days in the freezer. I recycle old bread bags to store them in.

These are the texture of a Thomas, not a grocey store english muffin. I slice them in half with a bread knife, the insides are soft and have little airy spots, not big craggy bits.

The recipe ingredients to c/p.

English Muffins
1 c warm milk
1/4 c warm water
1/2 T sugar
2 1/4 t yeast
pinch of baking powder
2 T butter
1 t salt
3 cups flour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home