My World, My Life, My Momments

I'll try to stop in here and keep things rollin. It sounds like a great way for me to just breathe, reflect and think about all things important to me.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Nourishing Soup with an Asian Flair

I'm taking a pot of soup to my 3rd graders class today.
It goes like this. And this is pretty much how I cook alot of things. WING..wing..wing it!
In a stock pot:
Glug of Organic EVOO and 2 T of butter.
Chopped up two stalks of celery, 8 baby carrots, quarter of an onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Softened that for a bit. Added in a pinch of sea salt, and a few cranks of black pepper. Toss in some cubed chicken meat. I used thighs and breasts in this one.
Poured in two jars of homemade chicken stock. (roughly 4 cups)
Added about a 1/4 c of Tamari Sauce. (can use soy) 1 T of toasted Sesame oil, a shake of chili flakes and about a cup of peeled broccoli stems cubed. oooh and about a 1 inch nub of peeled ginger(so I could fish it out later, but if this was just for me, I'd have diced it and added it in.)Oh and I tossed in some frozen brown rice. About 2 cups.

It's very rich, because I didn't add water. And it tastes delish! I hope the kids like it. If not there is Miss Peggy's Cheeseburger Soup for them as well..(I'm looking forward to giving that a taste myself!)
And I'm bringing my griddle so they can have grilled cheese sandwiches, and I have a bakery box of Banana Cakes and Brownie Bites..Both made with White Whole Wheat flour in place of regular AP.

So here's to a healthy, nourishing lunch for 20 3rd graders!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home